Hugo joined MRG in 2011 as a DPhil student and member of New College. He is working for the V-Charge project, which aims to implement autonomous valet parking systems. Other collaborators in the project are VW, Bosch, ETH Zurich, TU Braunschweig, and Parma University.
His current research explores the use of “introspective” classifiers, which are aware of when they might be assigning an incorrect label. These are designed for use in safety-critical systems, where mistakes can have catastrophic consequences.
He completed his Masters of Engineering Science at Oxford in 2011, where he specialised in Information Engineering and was a member of Brasenose College.
Hugo is a keen hiker, diver and plays ultimate frisbee.
- U. Schwesinger, M. Bürki, J. Timpner, S. Rottmann, L. Wolf, L. M. Paz, H. Grimmett, I. Posner, P. Newman, C. Häne, L. Heng, G. H. Lee, T. Sattler, M. Pollefeys, M. Allodi, F. Valenti, K. Mimura, B. Goebelsmann, and R. Siegwart, “Automated Valet Parking and Charging for e-Mobility–-Results of the V-Charge Project,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), Gothenburg, Sweden, 2016.
- H. Grimmett, R. Triebel, R. Paul, and I. Posner, “Introspective Classification for Robot Perception,” International Journal of Robotics Research (IJRR), 2015.
- H. Grimmett, M. Buerki, L. Paz, P. Piniés, P. Furgale, I. Posner, and P. Newman, “Integrating Metric and Semantic Maps for Vision-Only Automated Parking,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Seattle, WA, USA, 2015.
- P. Furgale, U. Schwesinger, M. Rufli, W. Derendarz, H. Grimmett, P. Mühlfellner, S. Wonneberger, J. T. S. Rottmann, B. Li, B. Schmidt, T. N. Nguyen, E. Cardarelli, S. Cattani, S. Brüning, S. Horstmann, M. Stellmacher, H. Mielenz, K. Köser, M. Beermann, C. Häne, L. Heng, G. H. Lee, F. Fraundorfer, R. Iser, R. Triebel, I. Posner, P. Newman, L. Wolf, M. Pollefeys, S. Brosig, J. Effertz, C. Pradalier, and R. Siegwart, “Toward Automated Driving in Cities using Close-to-Market Sensors, an Overview of the V-Charge Project,” in IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), Gold Coast, Australia, 2013, p. 809–816.
- R. Triebel, H. Grimmett, R. Paul, and I. Posner, “Driven Learning for Driving: How Introspection Improves Semantic Mapping,” in International Symposium on Robotics Research (ISRR), Singapore, 2013.
- R. Triebel, H. Grimmett, R. Paul, and I. Posner, “Introspective Active Learning for Scalable Semantic Mapping,” in Workshop on Active Learning in Robotics: Exploration, Curiosity and Interaction. Robotics Science and Systems (RSS), 2013.
- R. Triebel, H. Grimmett, and I. Posner, “Confidence Boosting: Improving the Introspectiveness of a Boosted Classifier for Efficient Learning,” in Workshop on Autonomous Learing. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Karlsruhe, Germany, 2013.
- H. Grimmett, R. Paul, R. Triebel, and I. Posner, “Knowing When We Don’t Know: Introspective Classification for Mission-Critical Decision Making,” in Proc. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Karlsruhe, Germany, 2013.